Family Autism Center
Number Of People With Autism Served By FAC Over The Years
The Family Autism Center (FAC) is 1 of 7 Autism Support Centers contracted by the State of Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services, (DDS). We work in conjunction with the Family Support Program at The Arc of South Norfolk. FAC is a community-based program whose mission is to provide advocacy, supports and services to people diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families.
In 1995, more than 70 local families called upon the Arc of South Norfolk to develop the center. Our services are responsive to the input, direction and needs of families. We work collaboratively with all stakeholders to provide support to hundreds of families throughout Norfolk county and Southeastern Massachusetts.
What We Offer
- Service Navigation: We help families access services that may be available to them (ex.DDS, Masshealth, ABA, etc). We will assist with applications, including making copies and mailing documents.
- Recreation & Social Programs: FAC offers many recreation and social programs throughout the year for various ages, children to adults. We strive to offer as many community-based programs as possible, including sports, outdoor & nature-based activities, arts, dances, social skills and family fun days.
- School Vacation Programs: We offer vacation week programming for children and young adults with developmental disabilities during February and April vacation weeks. Along with our drop-off program, we host events that are open to the entire family during these specific school vacation weeks.
- Support Groups: FAC offers support groups for family members, including parents and grandparents, throughout the year.
- Workshops & Trainings: Workshops and training programs are offered for parents and professionals throughout the calendar year. Topics include IEP Training, financial Planning, ABA/Behavioral Interventions, Basic Rights, etc. In collaboration with the Family Support Program, a Transition Training series is held each year, covering Guardianship, DDS Eligibility & SSI.
- Special Events/Fundraisers: Help support the work of the Family autism Center and the families we serve by helping out at our ongoing fundraisers or donating directly to the Family Autism Center.
- Informational Resources: We maintain an updated referral list of pediatricians, Advocates, neurologists, Attorneys, Psychiatrists, Music Therapists, etc.
DDS Adult Autism: We have a full-time Adult Support Coordinator dedicated to serving adults who are eligible under the new DDS guidelines and referred to The Arc of South Norfolk.
DDS Children’s Waiver Program: We serve as a Waiver Broker for families in our area who are referred by DDS for this Masshealth-funded program.
For more information about the Family Autism Center and the services we offer, contact our staff at
(781) 762-4001, Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm.